A summary of the latest news and NSA revelations.
Thanks to Snowden, we now know the NSA:
- Had James Clapper lie under oath to us - on camera - to Congress to hide the domestic spying programs Occured in March, revealed in June.
- Warrantlessly accesses records of every phone call that routes through the US thousands of times a day JuneSeptember
- Steals your private data from every major web company (Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft, et al) via PRISMJune and pays them millions for it August
- Pays major US telecommunications providers (AT&T, Verizon, et al) between $278,000,000-$394,000,000 annually to provide secret access to all US fiber and cellular networks (in violation of the 4th amendment). August
- Intentionally weakened the encryption standards we rely on, put backdoors into critical software, and break the crypto on our private communications September
- NSA employees use these powers to spy on their US citizen lovers via "LOVEINT", and only get caught if they self-confess. Though this is a felony, none were ever been charged with a crime. August
- Lied to us again just ten days ago, claiming they never perform economic espionage (whoops!) before a new leak revealed that they do all the time. September
- Made over fifteen thousand false certifications to the secret FISA court, leading a judge to rule they "frequently and systemically violated" court orders in a manner "directly contrary to the sworn attestations of several executive branch officials," that 90% of their searches were unlawful, and that they "repeatedly misled the court." September September
- Has programs that collect data on US Supreme Court Justices and elected officials, and they secretly provide it to Israel regulated only by an honor system. September